This Saturday and Sunday, the eco-conscious gift expo is taking place in Santa Monica. 150 eco-friendly companies will be selling their wares. Go to www.EcoGift.com to purchase tickets.
Fair trade, organic chocolate company, Theo will be on hand, so grab some sweets for all of your sweeties., and don't forget to buy some for yourself!
This event in and of itself is also "green." Here's an excerpt from the EcoGift website on steps taken to tread lightly on Mother Earth:
- Vinyl table covers will be replaced by linen.
- Event signage is made with recyclable, reusable or biodegradable materials.
- Event collateral is printed on a "green printer" with vegetable-based inks and recyclable paper.
- Food sold at the event will be packaged in biodegradable, compostable food ware.
- Biodegradable cornstarch or potato plates and utensils are mandated.
- All food served at the event is local, organic, and vegetarian fare.
- Implementation of a carbon offsetting program will reduce emissions generated by equipment, heating/cooling, shipping, and electricity.
- Resource Recovery Stations are placed throughout the facility. Now this doesn’t sound exciting…BUT…an anticipated 90% or higher landfill diversion is expected through this effort. Exhibitors will not receive wastebaskets in their booths, rather, the waste stream is strictly controlled and diverted. Each RR station will be hosted by a knowledgeable and friendly volunteer ready to tell you which of your items is recyclable, compost, or landfill.
- Complimentary purified water is provided on-site by Pure Water Science and will be served in biodegradable cups to eliminate plastic water bottles