December 31, 2008

Washing Clothes in Cold Water Saves Money and the Planet


Doing laundry is nearly a daily chore in our household, and I'm always looking for ways to save energy, money, and Mother Earth. (And I always look just like the woman above when washing our clothes... right down to the kitten heels.)

Since Petite Planet is all about the baby steps you can take to make a difference in saving the world, I wanted to share this compelling article I came across on TreeHugger. The folks there did all the footwork and research in determining exactly what a difference it makes to select the cold/cold setting when washing your clothes.

Apparently, choosing to launder your duds in hot water, puts your wallet and our planet in hot water as well. Doing so for a year is the equivalent of burning 182 gallons of gasoline. And did you know that 90% of the energy used to wash clothes is spent heating up the water? So, if you choose the cold setting, this waste can be avoided.

Next time you do your laundry, hit the cold/cold button to save as many CO2 emissions yearly as thousands of miles driven in a car or flying in an airplane!

Read TreeHugger's entire article here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've always used the cold cycles since I was old enough to do laundry. My mom taught me that way since she grew up poor on a farm. They couldn't afford to use hot water and even when she could the habit was to ingrained. I'm happy to say I'm the same. We also just switched to a more natural and cheaper detergent made up of shredded soap, washing soda and borax.