This week's craft is for music lovers -- or for kids who just want to make a little noise! Making your own musical instruments from household items is easy and fun, and you can whip up a guitar, a drum or maracas in no time at all! Here are a few ideas that will have you and your kids on the way to your own personal jam session.
Materials You Will Need:
- Empty tissue box
- Empty paper towel roll
- a crayon
- rubber bands
- empty, clean yogurt or jello cups
- empty, clean coffee can with lid
- cardstock or construction paper
How to Make a Guitar:
- You'll need an empty tissue box -- you can also use a shoe box or similar box, but you'll need to cut out the oval shape on the top.
- Take three rubber bands and gently stretch them lengthwise across the box, then slide a crayon under the rubber bands at one end. Tape an empty paper towel roll to the back of the box, for the handle, and ROCK ON!
How to Make a Drum:
- Use a coffee can or any type of can that has a lid, grab some paint sticks, wooden spoons, or just encourage your tot to use his little hands and start drumming! You can also flip the can over for a different sound - letting your tot drum on the metal bottom of the can.
How to Make Miniature Maracas:
- Take empty jello, yogurt, or pudding containers, fill with colorful buttons, rice, lentils, beans, or coins. Glue construction paper or cardstock on top as a secure lid. You are ready to shake rattle and roll!