February 26, 2010

'Everything I Have' Poster Puts Stuff in Perspective



In my late twenties, I had the opportunity to sell everything I owned and move from LA to NYC. I arrived in Manhattan with 2 suitcases of clothes and my beloved cat. It was a really cleansing process that made me grow tremendously as a person. It was also on my "things to do before I die" list... own (basically) nothing.

Since then, my family and I have accumulated quite a bit of 'stuff.' And parents know all of the trappings that go along with having kids -- no matter how minimalistic you try to be, the paraphernalia piles up.

When I saw this poster, "Everything I Have" by Simon Evans, I was moved -- and reminded of simpler times and the fact that we should be taking an inventory of what we bring into our homes on some level. Evans photographed all of his belongings in this poster. What an interesting perspective to take stock and come to terms with what really matters, and with what is simply taking up space, and using precious resources to create.

via The Violet Hours via Design Mom

No comments: