May 10, 2010

Polished Mama Non-toxic Nail Polish Created Especially for Moms-to-Be

nontoxic nail polish, nail polish during pregnancy, safe nail polish to wear during pregnancy, pregnancy and nail polish, chemical free nail polish

When I was pregnant with Olivia, I skipped my pedicure indulgences entirely to avoid the dangerous toxins (formaldehyde, parabens, dibutyl phthalates, and toluene to name a few) inherent in nearly all brands of nail polish and nail polish removers. But I have to say, this time around, I'm getting a bit tired of looking at my naked toes. With summertime around the corner, and my desire to live in flip-flops once weather permits, it was high-time I found a safe alternative to mainstream polishes to make my tootsies pretty again.

I was delighted to discover Polished Mama, a line of nail polishes developed by Kristin Polston, a registered nurse in labor and delivery, internationally board certified lactation consultant, wife, mother to a toddler, and non-toxic nail polish proponent! Polston says, “When I became pregnant, just the idea of getting near smelly nail polish was a reason to keep my nails unpainted. When I came across a study about phthalates in nail polish and their potential harm to fetuses, that was the day the idea for Polished Mama was born.”

The main ingredient in Polished Mama nail polish is water, which comprises 70% of the its composition. All of the other ingredients are non-toxic. In addition to being safe for use for moms-to-be and nursing moms, Polished Mama nail polish colors boast fun and cheeky names based on pregnancy and motherhood. Some cute names of the shades in the collection include: 4th Trimester, Attached, Craving, and Epidural Shmepidural.


I can relate to all of those meaningful names... and those are only a few in the ample collection of nail polishes from Polished Mama that moms can wear without worry! And I could tell no detectable difference in the performance of Polished Mama. It works like a charm and I was happy I didn't have to smell that stinky polish smell while my husband gave me and my daughter a pedicure on Mother's Day! (See photo above!)

I also love Polished Mama's moisturizing nail polish remover, which easily removed Polished Mama polish minus the eye-burning, nose-singeing smell and toxic fumes!

Here's to safe babies, pretty feet and happy toes all summer long!

No comments: