July 14, 2011

The Little Known Dangers of Play Sand


Who would have thought that finding sand for my kids' new sand and water activity table would result in shock at the fact that most play sand is carcinogenic and may cause fatal lung conditions?

I wanted to warn other parents with this regard, so please read the article here which warns:

The State of California requires a cancer warning label on bags of sand containing crystalline silica. That is because most of the sand found in hardware stores is not natural sand, but actually derived from quarried quartz rocks. The dust from such sand is regulated by the EPA (Environmental Protections Agency) and OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) and known to cause fatal lung conditions.

In my research I also discovered that some parents purchased sand that did not have a warning label on the bag, but the website for the sand said to beware of the sand's cancer-causing properties, so they were stuck with a useless, dangerous product.

Do your kids play in a sandbox or with a sand table? Where did you get the sand? Please leave answers and enlighten us all in the comments section!

2 comments:

Jill V. / TerraSavvy said...

I did not know this! So glad we never made that sandbox last year for the kids.

Thanks for the heads up. I am going to share this one with my readers.

Important stuff!

Jahje Ives said...

wow, that is frightening especially since the sand box is my son's favorite place to play. I guess I will be smuggling some beach home with us next week.