September 11, 2012

A Method Behind the Madness? EWG Gives Many Method Products An F Rating


 Guys, I'm fuming mad. The EWG's guide to healthy cleaning came out yesterday, and most of the Method products we use in our home received a big fat F!

I feel really betrayed, as I had always believed Method's colorful cleaning concoctions were totally safe and non-toxic. Thus, I have been dousing my home in them for years. I have also raved about Method products multiple times here on Petite Planet.

I am looking into these ratings because I want to get to the bottom of why exactly Method products failed so miserably according to the EWG.

This morning I emailed Method directly and their PR rep gave the following response:

"Method supports what EWG is trying to do for shoppers. However, many of the current scores on Method products in EWG’s new cleaning guide are inaccurate, and we are working with them to correct these errors.  Choosing products that are safe for people, pets and the planet can be daunting with so much conflicting information available. Method strongly advocates for transparency in cleaning products, and we look forward to EWG’s updated and more accurate cleaning guide. In the meantime, we encourage people to visit our website, where we offer disclosure of ingredients in all Method products."



When I responded with my dismay at having used their products all these years, the PR rep for Method elaborated by replying:

"Please rest assured that as it has been for the past 12 years, Method is deeply committed to creating products that are nontoxic, made from ingredients that are naturally derived and biodegradable and are easy on the planet. Our rigorous testing and accreditation by organizations such as the MBDC and Cradle to Cradle, our cruelty-free status with PeTA and Leaping Bunny, and our label and online ingredient disclosure are evidence of our commitment to our core values."

I asked the rep to keep me posted regarding the reevaluation by the EWG of their cleaning products, and as I learn more information, I will share it here on Petite Planet."

In the meantime, if anyone knows of a great floor cleaner for travertine floors, DIY or store-bought, please let me know in the comments!

1 comment:

Tara said...

do you ever use that dr bronner's stuff that comes concentrated in the big bottles with the wordy labels? i think that's what it's called. they say you can dilute it to varying strengths and use it for *everything*, including body wash. i used to buy it a lot but i've been buying mrs meyers since they came out with holiday scented ones :) hope they are as clean as their image, i haven't checked lately...