September 18, 2009

Hoo Wants to Make a Pine Cone Owl?


Leaves are beginning to fall, pine cones have dropped on the ground, and rainy days are becoming more frequent (so the need for indoor activities is upon us again). Put these elements together, and you've got yourself the makings of an eco-friendly, and totally FREE craft: pine cone owls!

Olivia's imagination is so amazing that the other day she decided there was an owl 'hoot-ing' at her from the wood grain in her wardrobe. She clearly inherited my wavelength because I could immediately see the 'owl' she was talking about, its eyes and nose prominently peering from the flat surface, wishing it could fly away into the night.

We now wave hi to the 'owl' on her wardrobe everyday, and I think she, and most tots would get a kick out of making pine cone owls. I wish the owl above was one we made, but it's not. I'll have to post about our own creation in the near future. For now, let's all have fun foraging for fall leaves for the owl's wings and pine cones for the owl's body, and using household items to bring the owl to life via eyes and a nose! Give me a hoot with your owl's photo if you make one with your tot!

No comments: