October 15, 2009

When Life Hands You Lemons, Make Tit Bits


October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and I am truly inspired by one breast cancer survivor's inventiveness and creativity in her fashioning of the 'Tit Bits' shown above. She lost her right breast to the disease, and when she went on a search to find a prosthetic to wear to an upcoming party, every "tittie" option she found in mastectomy boutiques was in her opinion, "too heavy, squishy or ugly." Her story of how the 'Tit Bits' came to be is so funny, and she sounds like such a character, so if you have a moment, read it in its entirety here. I am also going to provide an excerpt below.

"With a day to go before the party I was still without a titty. I considered going without one but my husband nixed the idea. I was already unbalanced, (but in a good way), he reasoned, but that didn't mean I should look unbalanced.

Finally, in a state that can only be described as panicked desperation, I bought a "proper" mastectomy bra and a silicone titty that was touted as the "lightest and most natural looking" on the market. The fitter, a sensible no-nonsense lady, who had been fitting breast prostheses since before disco was hot, discouraged me from wearing any of my existing bras, "They'll squash your prosthesis, dear and there is nothing worse than a squashed prosthesis!"

When I got home, I put on my new titty and bra and promptly broke into tears. The titty reminded me of raw liver, while the bra resembled the suspension system of my 1995 Volvo.

To cheer myself up, I rummaged through my stash looking for something luxurious to knit up. Then it hit me that I could knit myself a new titty; in fact, I had so much yarn I could knit myself a different titty for every day of the week, month, year!

I finished my first knitted titty an hour before the party and wore it with one of my favorite lacy underwires. When a friend, who had been following the whole titty saga, saw me she remarked, "You really did a great job! Your left breast looks almost as good as the right one -- a bit lumpy but very realistic."

"You know," I replied, "It was my right breast that was removed."


via Knitty

1 comment:

Mama K's said...

I've been meaning to comment on this for a while now. This is so brilliant and moving. I love the ingenuity and can't imagine walking this woman's path. Hooray for inventiveness and modern survival!
Kari
mamaks.etsy.com