April 13, 2010

Craft TuesD.I.Y with Lisa Lopez: Popsicle Stick Picture Frames


Lately it seems I have been taking and receiving a slew of special pictures that require frames. I thought a wonderful, eco-friendly way to display them would be to place them in homemade picture frames. Here's how to upcycle popsicle sticks into works of art, and worthy frames for your priceless captured moments!


Materials You Will Need:
  • Popsicle sticks
  • Glue/ hot glue
  • Mod Podge
  • Paints/ brushes
  • Decorated papers
  • Stickers
  • Any embellishments you want, ie: sea shells, trinkets, etc.
  • Ribbon
  • Tape
  • Scissors

For the first popsicle stick frame I created, I wanted to put our furry friend AJ in a special place to display in my son's room. He is a cherished friend and it will be great to see his picture every day.



Step one: Take 4 popsicle sticks and glue them together in a square shape. Hot glue works best.


Step two: If you choose to do so, paint your frame at this time and then let it dry completely.


Step three: Take your photo and mount it on your paper, the paper should be a heavy cardstock paper because it is going to be the backing as well. Have fun corresponding the colors of the paper to your pictures.


Step four: Flip the frame over and tape your paper all around the edges of the popsicle sticks, with the picture side down.

Step five: Once the frame is dry, you can glue trinkets or place stickers as I have done. I also put the name AJ on wood letters that I painted then hot glued them to the frame.


Step six: Take your ribbon and cut a long piece, tying the center in a bow and you will then have the 2 long sides leftover that you will tape to the frame so that you can hang it.



You can also take your Mod Podge and cut out paper and decoupage it to the sticks. In a recent trip up the coast, we collected shells and rocks that I glued to the frame.



And for a special person who is expecting, I took her ultrasound picture and painted the sticks blue and glued adorable baby items on top ie: rattle, sweet little shoes and a teddy bear.

These make great gifts and are a special way to display your captured memories!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

These frames are adorable! I love the beach themed one. Such a great idea for vacation memories.