May 3, 2010

Resilience Pregnancy Oil from Soapwalla

soapwalla, pregnancy belly oil, eco mom, anti-stretch mark oil, organic pregnancy belly oil
I'm getting to the pampering stage of my pregnancy -- trying to slow down a bit more -- and of course, it's time to bust out the preventative anti-stretch mark oil! Lucky for me, Soapwalla chef Rachel Winard recently unveiled a new addition to her amazing collection of natural and eco-friendly personal care products: Resilience Pregnant Belly Oil.

First of all, let me just say that I love that Rachel refers to herself as the Soapwalla "chef." Isn't it comforting to know that as a consumer, we can be aware of every single ingredient that is going into our beauty products, onto our body, and into our (and our baby's) bloodstream? Rachel informed me that many popular pregnancy oils actually contain ingredients that should be avoided during pregnancy. She offers,

"I performed hours and hours of research on essential oils that are healing during pregnancy, and was somewhat dismayed to find that several well-known commercial pregnant belly oils contain essential oils that are strictly prohibited during pregnancy. This prompted me to create a product I am really proud to offer my clients. Some oils that are contraindicated for pregnancy include peppermint, borage and neroli. Rose essential oil should be avoided in the first four months, but can be tolerated the last two trimesters. Because borage and neroli oils are such potent skin healers, they appear in several well known anti-stretch mark oils. There are some schools of thought that these oils are safer as the pregnancy progresses as long as it is thoroughly diluted. However, other resources strictly prohibit their use during pregnancy, so I decided to be safer rather than sorry!"

To aid in the prevention of stretch marks, encourage collagen regeneration, and to soothe itchy, stretched skin, here is Rachel's description of her vegan Resilience Pregnant Belly Oil:

Meadowfoam, jojoba, apricot kernel, sweet almond, wheat germ and black currant seed oils hydrate, heal damaged skin, and provide a boost of anti-oxidants and omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. Rosehip seed oil is chock full of trans-retinoic acid, and is believed to be the best oil available for anti-aging and skin rejuvenation. A blend of pregnancy-safe essential oils including Roman chamomile*, calendula, arnica and lavender lightly scent this gorgeous oil, reducing inflammation and calming nerves. Gentle enough for babies. This oil is the perfect massage oil for old scars and scar tissue as well.

I massage this lovely oil into my skin, wherever I feel the "stretch" twice a day as directed. A tiny amount goes a long way.

As you've read here before, I LOVE Soapwalla's deodorant cream, so with summer approaching, make sure to add this to your shopping list as well!

Note: Most of my readers know I am allergic to wheat. Resilience Pregnant Belly Oil contains wheat germ oil, which Rachel was willing to leave out for me due to the trace amount in the recipe and the fact that its exclusion didn't compromise the integrity of the final product. If you suffer from wheat/gluten intolerance but would still like to buy this oil sans the wheat germ, please contact Rachel directly with your request.

2 comments:

Nirmala said...

what does this oil smell like? I can't tell from the description.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nirmala, thanks for your question! The pregnancy oil smells very lightly of lavender, citrus and geranium, which creates a tempered floral scent. I hope that helps! Best, Rachel, Soapwalla Chef