February 18, 2009

Don't Shower Yourself In Chemical Toxins


Today I was at Target and I had a shower curtain in my hands when a light bulb went off above my head. Yes, that same bulb that makes me a constant walker on the road less traveled. Plastic shower curtain, plastic liner... is this plastic safe? I decided not to buy the shower curtain until I could research it further.

Sure enough, shower curtains made with PVC will surely bathe you in damaging chemicals upon being hung from the rod. Hence that new shower curtain smell... and let me tell you, it's not a clean scent.

The Alternative Consumer has a great post on PEVA Shower Curtains - Nontoxic and PVC free. They cite the EPA as determining that shower curtains are filled with "108 volatile organic compounds, poisonous chemicals that off-gas into the air and can persist for the first 28 days while the curtain hangs in your home." Ick!

The alternative given in their article is PEVA shower curtains, which are "non-vinyl (PVC-free), chlorine-free, biodegradable and affordable." Check out their post for a plethora of suggested options on PEVA shower curtains. They also suggest ditching plastic altogether for a hemp or organic cotton shower curtain.

Making sure all of your shower curtains and liners are safe and chemical free is another small, easy, totally doable way to keep your home environment healthy and clean. It's sad but true, that we live in a day and age in which we need to research our purchases to be certain we aren't putting our family or the world at large at risk with our choices.

Here's to many more light bulb moments... which incidentally often pop up in the shower!

1 comment:

Jill said...

I do all my best thinking in the shower. Thank you for that post. Will check it out. Glass doors are another option. Not as cute though and obviously more expensive. Thanks again!!